I’m always on the lookout for delicious, healthy, breakfast-friendly baked goods. For one, I love to bake. Also, baked items tend to be so easy to just grab as you walk out the door. (No heating required, no bowls needed, etc.)
That’s why when I came across this recipe for Superfood Breakfast Cookies, I knew I had to give it a go. After all, these babies are packed with so much goodness (seeds, nuts, fruit, coconut oil, and more) they just had to be tasty (not to mention super healthy AND portable).
I discovered this recipe thanks to Thrive Market, which I’ve raved about in a past post. Thrive Market is a wonderful, membership-based website that has tons of healthy items — including grocery, beauty, home, baby, and pet products — for wholesale prices. Um, yes please. Initially I was a little hesitant, only because I wasn’t sure I wanted to pay the $59.95 annual membership fee, but after trying my (FREE!) 30-day trial and discovering how many products I already buy are offered on Thrive Market for significantly lower prices, my hesitation was gone. Just look at my last order. Good stuff, huh?:
(Plus, one paid membership gives someone who wouldn’t be able to afford to access Thrive Market a membership as well, so you can feel doubly good about your participation.)
One awesome thing about Thrive Market is they’re always giving their members freebies. Sometimes it’s a free add-on item to your order, sometimes it’s a discount, and sometimes it’s great content. With my last order, I received an e-book called The Ultimate Guide to Coconut, which had lots of interesting information about coconut, including some mouthwatering recipes. One of said recipes was this one, and I’m super excited to share it with y’all! (I modified my version ever so slightly from Thrive Market’s version.) Enjoy!
Superfood Breakfast Cookies
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 ripe banans
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats and set aside.
- In a food processor (or blender), coarsely blend together pumpkin seeds, walnuts, cashews, and shredded coconut. Pour mixture into large bowl.
- Add coconut flakes, ground ginger, flaxseed meal, salt, almonds, goji berries, and raisins.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine bananas, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until bananas are well mashed.
- Pour banana mixture into dry mixture and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Form dough into balls and place one inch apart on baking sheets (they won’t spread, so you can put them pretty close together).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time, until golden brown. (Mine baked for closer to 15 minutes.)
Breakfast is served!