On the hunt for easy (and I mean EASY!) Halloween costume ideas for yourself, you and a partner/friend, or a family/group? Check out this post I wrote for Zulily for some fun and simple DIY Halloween costume inspiration!
I never understand when people don’t like Halloween. I’ve always loved this holiday, and not just because of the candy (although that’s a nice component, to be sure). There’s something about dressing up –- and all the possibility that exists when it comes to picking the perfect costume -– that continues to spark excitement for me year after year.
The costume selection process is a critical one, and it helps to start thinking about it with enough time to prep for something truly great. One of the things I love about Halloween is that creativity goes further than money, in most cases. Rather than snagging a polyester costume from one of those pop-up Halloween stores that pops up in every strip mall this time of year, asses your closet, hit up your local Goodwill and/or craft store, and get to costume making!
Here are 7 costume ideas that are sure to impress:
- Piñata: This was the route I took with my costume last year, and it was a big hit. I used a dress I didn’t wear much anymore as the base and covered it with colored crepe paper (glued to the dress), cut with about inch-wide pieces at the bottom of each strip of crepe paper to simulate the fringed paper on a piñata. I also wrapped two party hats in extra crepe paper to accessorize. (Bonus points: Throw out candy when you walk into a room and/or travel with a friend donned in a blindfold and carrying a stick.)
- Paper Doll: This costume idea is simple to pull together, requiring just poster board, markers, and some super-sticky tape. Just cut the poster board into clothing and accessory shapes (leaving a few tabs around the sides paper doll-style) and color in the clothing (be sure the tabs stay white). Then tape your masterpiece to your clothes, style your hair in ringlets or pigtails, and you’re good to go!
- Loofah: This costume is so much fun. A shower loofah – ha! It never gets old, and you’re sure to get tons of laughs. To learn how to bring it to life, check out this easy video tutorial.
- Regina George: Any respectable Mean Girls fan will get this easy-to-pull-off shout-out to Regina. Just grab a tank and a colored bra, cut out two holes in the front of the tank, layer, and let the compliments roll in. (You can add a long blonde wig for extra credit!)
- Grumpy Cat: With some simple make-up and a pair of cat ears (oh, and a sour facial expression), you can easily transform yourself into a Grumpy Cat doppelganger everyone will love.
- Jellyfish: Partner an all-white outfit with a clear or white umbrella that you’ve decorated with “tentacles” (a.k.a. streamers or crepe paper) and you’re ready to party. Oh, and throw in some glow sticks for extra nighttime pizazz!
- School Picture: Another favorite of mine, this Halloween costume comes together easily with a trip to Goodwill for some ‘90s middle school-esque clothes and to a craft store for some foam board. You’ll want to get a laser background to adhere to the foam board to make the whole ensemble really pop.
3 thoughts on “7 Clever DIY Halloween Costume Ideas”
Hahaha!! Those are all too funny!! I love your pinata costume from last year! 🙂 Very creative!