It’s been a great weekend, and the gorgeous weather made me want to end it with a seasonally appropriate meal. It was perfect timing, considering I’d been wanting to give this Smitten Kitchen recipe a try for the last couple of weeks.
I wasn’t able to find farro at the store (not even Whole Foods), so I opted for quinoa instead, and that turned out well. Also, since I couldn’t hunt down the ricotta salata cheese that the original recipe recommended, I subbed feta. And, since I didn’t have quite enough squash on hand, I used one cup squash and two sweet potatoes. Despite all the modifications, this recipe turned out amazingly, and I can’t wait to make it again.
- 1 cup butternut squash (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- Two sweet potatoes (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- Olive oil
- Ground pepper and salt (to taste)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 6 ounces feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss sweet potato and squash cubes in olive oil, pepper, and salt. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- While squash and potatoes are cooking, whisk together sherry vinegar, water, table salt, and sugar until sugar and salt dissolve. Stir in onion, cover, and put in fridge to marinate.
- Boil quinoa in two cups water. After the water comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until water is absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- Once quinoa is cooked and veggies are roasted, combine squash, potatoes, quinoa, onions (with vinegar), cheese, and pepitas in a large bowl. Eat immediately or save it for later (this dish keeps well in the fridge for a few days).
Here’s to great meals on relaxing fall evenings spent with my favorite boys. Doesn’t get much better than this!
One thought on “Butternut Squash/Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad”
This sounds wonderful. I think it would be a good Thanksgiving dish. I hope you have a great week,
Sent from my iPhone