Usually on Fridays, I share links with y’all. Internet things that I’ve stumbled upon or that have been shared with me over the week that caught my attention because they were funny or compelling or adorable or smart…etc. But this week, along with links, I also realized I just had a handful of non-link-related updates I wanted to pass along, making this week’s Friday just slightly different.
So, here goes:
- First up: Please watch this adorable video of Bretagne, the last survivor among the search-and-rescue dogs who responded to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. She turned 16 and was treated to a special trip to New York City to celebrate her (and her owner) and thank them for their service 14 years ago. Be ready to tear up!
- After eyeing lots of baked donut recipes recently, I bit the bullet and purchased a donut pan. It arrived last night, and I hope to break it in some this coming weekend! (Recipes I’m especially pumped to try include these, made with the Kodiak protein pancake mix Kevin and I love and, since I’m ready for some fall in my life, these Sweet Potato Pecan Pie treats.) Have you guys gotten into the baked donut trend? Any favorite recipes to try, if so?
- In case you’ve been living under a rock, Stephen Colbert’s new gig, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, premiered this past Tuesday. As expected (because he’s awesome), the show has been a resounding success so far. Kevin and I have watched pieces of this week’s shows, but I’m looking forward to catching up on them in their entirety over the weekend (maybe in between donut baking!).
- During a recent drive to the beach, Kevin and I listened to the audiobook (read by the author!) of Aziz Ansari’s new (and first) book, Modern Romance. We LOVED it, and came to the conclusion that anyone in our generation — regardless of relationship status — should give it a read (or listen). Aziz partnered with a sociologist, Eric Klinenberg, to delve into relationships and the communication styles attached to them, both in generations past and today.
- Um…I cannot WAIT to make this Mocha Cherry Coconut Milkshake that my friend Teri of A Foodie Stays Fit posted the other day. YUM!
- Last week, I told y’all about the Fat Loss Foodies Cooking School I’m participating in. I’m continuing to love both the program and the community, and have enjoyed the new recipes I’ve tried this week, including these Pumpkin Protein Pancakes. (I’m so obsessed with breakfast lately. The best!) I’ve especially liked trying my hand at baking in a fat loss-friendly style. More to come on that in future posts…
- Scientists discovered what they think is a new human-like species — Homo Naledi — in a cave in South Africa. Super cool stuff.
Happy Friday, everyone!