If you’d told me a few weeks ago that I’d be actively brainstorming interesting ways to incorporate Eggo waffles into recipes, I wouldn’t have believed you. And yet here I am, entering a third recipe into the Kellogg’s “Eggo Your Way” contest. (As it turns out, waffles are quite the versatile ingredient.)
So, quick review. I started with a Veggie Hummus Waffle Pizza recipe, then stuck within the savory vein with a Parmesan Chicken With Eggo Breadcrumbs dish. Both recipes turned out well, and are ones I plan on making again.
For my third entry, I moved into the dessert category, opting to once again pulse the waffles in a food processor to make crumbs (as I’d done with the chicken) and using those to create a crust for a cheesecake. How did it turn out? Well, I made the cheesecake on Sunday and as of last night there’s none left at the Keller house. (We liked it!) Using the Thick & Fluffly Cinnamon Brown Sugar Eggos was a good call, too, as that flavor combination worked perfectly for the crust and complemented the other ingredients nicely. (I wasn’t familiar with that type of Eggo. They’re good!)
If you’re looking for a solid cheesecake recipe with a bit of a twist, give this one a go. (The Eggo crust would work well with any type of cheesecake, too. It’s a good substitute for the standard graham cracker crust.)
Ingredients (for crust)
- 3 Eggo Thick & Fluffy Cinnamon Brown Sugar waffles
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons butter, melted
Ingredients (for cake)
- 3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened (I used two reduced fat and one full-fat cream cheeses)
- 1 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs plus one egg yolk
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to broil (set on high)
- Place waffles in food processor and blend until waffles become crumbs.
- Combine waffle crumbs with brown sugar and melted butter to make crust, then press crust mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Place crust in oven and broil for about 10 minutes (until crust becomes slightly crisp). Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer and cream until completely smooth. (Be sure to get all those lumps out!)
- Add pumpkin puree, eggs and egg yolk, yogurt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, flour, and vanilla to cream cheese and blend until well combined.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into pan on top of crust, then bake for 1 hour.
- Let cake cool for 10 minutes, then chill cheesecake in the fridge for at least 4 hours prior to serving. Enjoy!
One thought on “My 3rd “Eggo Your Way” Contest Entry: Pumpkin Cheesecake With Cinnamon Brown Sugar Waffle Crust”