I know people love to hate on Valentine’s Day. It’s commercial, it’s overrated, there shouldn’t be just one day set aside to show your significant other you love them, etc. I agree that there’s a cheesy factor to Valentine’s Day, I happen to hate roses, and I boycott most restaurants on the day itself (especially ones who develop overpriced fixed menus for V-Day) but I’ve always loved this holiday. It’s just nice to spend a day reminding people you care about them, you know? Plus, baked goods are encouraged for Valentine’s Day, and we all know how I feel about those.
But it’s also fun to see what people create for Valentine’s Day, so I wanted to pass along a few creative things I’ve seen to celebrate Hearts Day this year. Some are sweet, some are silly, some are weird. Enjoy!:
- I LOVED finding this Google Doodle by This American Life host Ira Glass today. What a brilliant campaign! When you click on each heart, you hear stories from people about different aspects of love (memories of a first kiss, tales of a blind date, etc.):
- The Flower Council of Holland is running a really cool campaign in Paris for Valentine’s Day. They’re putting up 1,500 little red boxes that are modeled after emergency boxes, only these contain single red roses and the boxes read, “In case of love at first sight, break glass.” Adorable, right?:
- Do you remember the awesome “Dumb Ways To Die” video put out in 2012 to promote train safety in Melbourne, Australia? Well, they’re back with an adorable (?) Valentine’s Day video!:
- SNL’s video about what to get your long-term girlfriend for Valentine’s Day — “Some Dumb Little Thing From CVS” — was incredible. “Exquisite gifts she’ll treasure forever, like an enormous Mylar balloon that plays ‘Mambo Number Five’ whenever you tap it — and even if you don’t.”:
- Look at IKEA getting all sassy for Valentine’s Day in Singapore:
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone! What have you seen today that’s made you smile?