There’s pumpkin bread baking in my oven right now, so I thought I’d use this time — as the house begins to smell delightfully autumnal — to write a blog post about, appropriately, pumpkins.
I like to think of myself as a cognizant consumer, in that I am generally aware of when I’m being targeted by advertising and messaging. For some reason, that awareness makes me feel a little better when I “fall for” a product based on cute packaging, or stock up on something trendy like pumpkin-flavored anything.
For the record, I’m totally, 100 percent on board with pumpkin-flavored just about anything.
When I made a Trader Joe’s run last week (in Charlotte, because ours has yet to open — sigh), I was thrilled to see the store stocked with everything from pumpkin beer to pumpkin waffle mix. Bring it on! (In fact, the pumpkin bread baking away in my oven is from a Trader Joe’s mix.)
With that, here are some of my favorite pumpkin-infused treats for this time of year. (Let me know what’s missing from my list, too. I’d love to add to it!):
- Trader Joe’s Country Pumpkin Spice Granola:
- Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Bread & Muffin Mix:
- Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Butter (delicious on ANYTHING):
- Caribou Coffee Pumpkin Chai (this is a new 2012 development, and it’s oh-so-good):
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte (come on — it had to make the list):
- Krispy Kreme Pumpkin Spice Cake Donut:
And, as far as recipes go, here are some pumpkin-themed ones I highly recommend:
- Pumpkin Stuffed With Everything Good (this recently became a Christmas tradition at the Swindle house):
- Ginger Pumpkin Pie With Toasted Coconut (a Cooking Light recipe, too — even better!):
- Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread (you know, if you run out of the Trader Joe’s mix):
Perfect timing — my pumpkin bread is done! Time to enjoy the taste of fall…