It’s been a while since I posted a good ole ad round up for you lovely readers, and since I’ve been seeing some great work out there I thought it was time to pass a few ads along. Some of these fall into the more traditional space while others are definitively out of the box (ahem…Tim Hortons), but all are clever and well executed.
Hope you enjoy these as much as I did!:
- Starbucks recently released a series of great commercials told through a combination text message/face-to-face exchanges that illustrate in a very relatable way how much more fulfilling in-person time can be as opposed to time spent communicating via technology. Here’s my favorite of the bunch (and you can watch the other two here):
- Tim Hortons has long been committed to supporting the Canadian communities they’re in, but they took things to a new level by transforming a house in Calgary — just an average home in the middle of an everyday neighborhood — into a Tim Hortons restaurant overnight. Imaging waking up and finding that a house on your street was suddenly serving donuts and coffee. (Psst — Tim! Wanna come to MY neighborhood?) They specifically picked a community with unemployment issues to not only offer residents a happy surprise one morning, but also to allow them to interact with Tim Hortons employees and perhaps consider job opportunities within the company. Cool stuff, to be sure.
- Aldi Australia just rolled out a new ad series called “Like brands. Only cheaper.” It allows the discount grocery chain — known for being able to keep its prices low by offering their own store brands rather than any mainstream brands — to discuss their brands’ quality in relation to more expensive competitor brands, but they bring it to life in a downright silly way.
- Kit Kat had a short and sweet response to the iPhone 6’s much-discussed #bendgate drama. Nice move, Kit Kat:
- I don’t love Budweiser, but I sure do love most of their ad work. They’ve created another winner with their latest work — a spot highlighting responsible drinking habits (i.e. choosing not to drive when you’ve had too much). Puppy? Check. Sweet, peppy music? Check. Storyline that will tug at your heartstrings? Check. Solid, Budweiser. Solid:
- Orange — a French telecom corporation — released this ad that I just had to include in my list. Obviously, I don’t think “spending time with your kids” while actually watching soccer games is the best way to parent, but it’s inarguably a funny play on the whole “quality time” bit. Here’s “Best Dad” by Orange: