As someone with a love for all things coconut, this recipe — which includes shredded coconut, coconut oil, AND coconut milk — seemed like a no brainer. It’s light and sweet and fresh and perfect for summertime.
They’re a great breakfast treat, make for a delicious dessert, and are the perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up treat to enjoy with a cup of coffee.
In fact, I’m making another batch a little later this week to take with me to to the beach this weekend. Y’all should probably make some, too. Just saying.
(Bonus! You can even make it vegan by subbing out the egg with 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 Tablespoons of water.)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup blueberries (you can use fresh or frozen — I went the frozen route)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line pan with muffin/cupcake liners, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix coconut oil, egg, coconut milk, and vanilla together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in the coconut and blueberries.
- Divide batter among 12 prepared muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean). NOTE: These will not get “golden brown” as many baked goods do, so watch these muffins carefully to be sure you don’t overbake them.