Ah, summertime — season of sunshine, long days, and countless cookouts. When we’re hosting or attending cookouts, I have a go-to summer salad recipe that’s quick, fresh, easy, and always a hit.
It tastes great either warm or cold, and serves about 6 to 8 as a side dish:
- 4-5 ears of sweet corn on the cob
- 3/4 package cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- 6-8 large basil leaves
- salt and pepper
(*Note: The amounts of each of these ingredients can be adjusted based on your preference. Like more tomatoes in your salad? By all means — add them!)
- Boil corn until cooked (Midwestern trick: add a touch of milk to the boiling water to make the corn extra sweet).
- While corn is cooling, chop the onion and saute over medium-high heat in olive oil and place in large mixing bowl.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and add to mixing bowl.
- Once corn is cooled (you can run the ears under cold water to help speed up the process), cut the corn off the cob and add to mixing bowl.
- Add goat cheese to bowl and mix well, melting the cheese and combining all ingredients.
- Tear basil and add to mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
See? Told you it was easy. This is guaranteed to become one of your summertime favorites, too!