A couple of weeks ago, I entered a Veggie Hummus Waffle Pizza into Eggo’s “Eggo Your Way” recipe contest. The dish turned out better than I’d expected, and so I was inspired to create another recipe to enter into the contest. (You can enter multiple recipes as long as they don’t overlap too much. As in, I can’t enter another pizza recipe.)
I wanted to get creative with the Eggo incorporation, so I opted to use the waffles to create a breading for chicken. The result? Another waffle-based recipe that I plan on making again. Two for two!
- 4 Eggo Homestyle waffles
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Place Eggo waffles in food processor and pulse until they become crumbs. Set aside.
- Pound chicken breasts with either a mallet or rolling pin until they’re about one inch thick, then set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper on a large dinner plate.
- Lightly beat eggs and add water, then pour onto a second dinner plate.
- Combine cheese and Eggo crumbs and place mixture on a third dinner plate.
- One at a time, coat chicken breasts with flour mixture, then egg mixture, and finally crumb/cheese mixture, carefully pressing down in crumbs to adhere to chicken.
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium-high heat and place coated chicken breasts in pan.
- Generously sprinkle thyme, sage, and garlic powder on chicken breasts.
- Cook chicken completely, turning as needed (but be careful not to let the Eggo crumbs fall off when flipping!).
Enjoy! I served my chicken with two amazing new sides from this month’s issue of Self magazine (the one with Olivia Munn on the cover) — Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnut Cilantro Chimichurri and Quinoa Stuffing with Cranberries. I highly recommend picking up a copy so you can give these a try for yourself!